ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future (1987 - 1988)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, Bud, Silvera was going to be presented in the first half of the series season as evil.

However, Silvera was going to undergo an emotional transformation and would come to sympathize with the humans . . . even long to become one of 'em.

She would eventually pledge to assist the Resistance.

It would have been her aide that would have been crucial to tipping the balance against Lord Dread.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcor was another unrealized concept.

Falcor was a bio-dread Falcon created by Lord Dread & completely loyal to Dread.

Falcor could fly and act as a scout/spy for LD.

It could see and hear things which LD could also see through Falcor's eyes using the Interlock Chair.Falcor could also play back overheard conversations.

Falcor had a small arsenal of missiles within its deadly wings.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I looked for any online indications that the reboot, Captain Power: Phoenix Rising, might still be in development, but I found nothing later than some 2016 announcements and articles.

Apparently it ain't going to happen. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, Bud.

The show still has enormous potential with its story possibilities.

With today's state of the art cgi, as well as other special/visual FX advancements, it would be fantastic to view.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original promo is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLvlBoIjeA Here are some relevant screen shots:

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the interactive feature of the videos! My sons and I spent many hours with the vehicles and the tapes doing battle with the dominions of Lord Dread! We went through tons of batteries trying to keep up with the games!

We had all the ships and VHS tapes and we played for hours on our living room floor trying to liberate the galaxy!

Todays "video games" (Or however they're called!) don't seem to have the ability to bring together generations....They seem to exclude groups to isolate the individual player.

"Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I loved the interactive feature of the videos! My sons and I spent many hours with the vehicles and the tapes doing battle with the dominions of Lord Dread!

We had all the ships and VHS tapes and we played for hours on our living room floor trying to liberate the galaxy!

My God, you are indeed my "brother from another mother"!

Our whole family (of four) had our own Captain Power ships too, and we spent hours watching tapes of the shows and using the toys to battle Lord Dread!

[

Notice the custom detailing which was created from the sheets of red stickers which came with the toys. We all decorated our ships with the fragments that were left over after the real stickers had been peeled away. Wink

Here's two other ships which I still own fly high above the Robby you gave me, with significantly different custom details.

And we often turned out the lights in our house and raced back and forth between the bedrooms and the kitchen, firing as we flew passed each other in opposite directions, with our ships switched to "room" mode so we could score hits and deactivate our opponents! Very Happy

Yes, indeed, modern video games do not give families a chance to interact in this wonderful manner. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 22, 2020 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This first promo features actors who weren't actually in the new show yet, because the show was still in production. He lays it on pretty thick. Rolling Eyes

The screen starts out blank while the narrator pumps up our enthusiasm.

Captain Power & the Soldiers of the Future Orig. Promo

_____________________ Captain Power Intro

__________ Captain Power End Credits (clean)

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planned Second Season of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

In a Starlog Magazine interview from January of 1989 with Larry DiTillio and Gary Goddard, they laid out the planned 2nd season of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future without the involvement of Mattel and their demands for interactive laser battles.

Without Mattel's requirements and toy, the show and setting would have been reshaped to focus more on the post-apocalypse/robot revolt elements, with increased maturity.

With the destruction of the Power Base and the death of Jennifer "Pilot" Chase, Captain Power is a broken man and the remains of his team are playing a running battle with Dread forces — with Hawk as their leader.

The objectives of the machine empire has have changed, and they are now on a campaign to kill the remains of humanity. Lord Dread himself would have gone from cyborg to completely robotic, thus marking the end of the role for the actor.

While looking for a new base, the team would interact with those in Eden II, the human resistance, and others in the post-Metal Wars societies, like Tech-Town.

During the 2nd season, the character of Tank would have more involvement with the new member of the Power team, the female "Ranger", who would have been his love interest.

Another female character would have been added for Dread, an android that would have been involved with the character of Scout.

Then there was the hinted possibility for Sauron to leave the machine empire and join up with the human side of the war!

Another hint was that Larry DiTillio, who called the show's title "the worst title for a TV show ever created", was thinking about changing the title of the show to appeal to more adults and get the "kid's show" label away from Captain Power.

How close was the production team to the 2nd season?

There were 18 scripts finished, and the series Bible was updated when Mattel pulled out in the winter of 1988. This lead to Landmark Entertainment's now disgraced Gary Goddard to seek new investors in the show as late as the winter of 1989, but it was a fruitless hunt.

The planned 2nd season never materialized, but Landmark was able to re-acquire the rights to the first season of the show.

Sadly, it would have been extremely difficult to get Captain Power off of the ground again in 1989 due to the majority of the production crew and actors moving on to new jobs.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously we're never going to get a revival of the original series — for several reasons.

~ The original actors are now too old reprise their roles.

~ The 1980s flavor of the show would not be accepted by modern audiences.

~ The aging fans of the original series (like me) would not be comfortable with a version which was designed for a much younger generation.

Have said all that, I'm sure a reboot would be spectacula! Very Happy

However . . . it wouldn't be something which most of us original fans could accept and enjoy. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: